Remember: Coconut should be limited to 2-4 tablespoons a day (so one of these a day as a sweet treat)
Approx 20 balls
4 Cups of coconut flakes
2 Cups of pitted dates
1 Tablespoon of fresh root ginger peeled (personally I like a bit more, but at this amount my children eat them without hesitation)
- Turn oven onto 180oC.
- Place all three ingredients into a food processor.
- Whizz until mixture is well blended and will hold a ball shape. This will take a few minutes.
- Take a teaspoon amount of mixture and press together to see if it will hold a ball shape, if not add 1-2 teaspoons of water - whizz and test again.
- Press mixture into balls (about the size of a ping pong ball) and place onto a baking tray.
- Bake at 180oC for 10-15 mins (depending on how crisp you like the outside)
- Cool, and store in an airtight jar.
- If you hear a clunking noise, a date pit is probably in there. I have found the easiest thing to do is tip the ingredients out onto a tray, find the culprit, and tip mix back into food processor bowl.
- Sometimes I make these up earlier in the day, once placed on the tray, I leave them until I turn the oven on for the evening meal and bake them then.
Rediscovery Your Wellness - Sheryl Cook, 2015